baked zucchini sticks
i love zucchini sticks! i’ve tried to do homemade a few times now, and these ones are the winner. panko breadcrumbs making all the difference. tried to avoid dredging in flour…. but that just doesn’t make for good imitation deep-fried food.
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into sticks
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp whole wheat breadcrumbs (optional, will give more of a pub/appetizer deep fried texture)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp low-fat parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp skim milk
- 2 tbsp cup flour
1.preheat oven to 400 degrees, spray baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray
2. combine breadcrumbs, oregano, onion powder, salt & pepper, parmesan cheese
3. in one shallow bowl, combine egg white and milk. in another, put flour. put breadcrumb mixture onto a sheet of wax paper. dip zucchini in flour, tap off excess, dip in egg wash, and place in breadcrumb mixture. bury the zucchini in bread crumbs, evenly coating them all. place on baking sheet, bake in oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
serve with marinara sauce, ranch dressing, or creamy horseradish dip